Q & A with CIO Darin King

July 15, 2016

Chief Information Officer Darin King

Chief Information Officer Darin King

Darin King was recently named Chief Information Officer for the North Dakota University System. Previously, King served as the Deputy CIO since November of 2013.  In that role, he was responsible for the day-to-day operational leadership of the enterprise systems and services delivered to the 11 institutions of the NDUS.

King began his career in educational technology as a high school mathematics and computer science teacher in Minot and Grand Forks.  In 1995, he was hired as the first Network Services Coordinator for the Grand Forks Public Schools (GFPS) and led the effort to bring Internet access into the classrooms of the district. King became the GFPS district Technology Director in 1997 and led the district through a rapid expansion of educational technology resources and systems. In 2012, he became the Director of the North Dakota Educational Technology Council and provided leadership for all ND K12 educational technology, including EduTech and the ND Center for Distance Education.

He is a graduate of Valley City State University and the University of North Dakota. He is Valley City native and a 20+ year resident of Grand Forks with a wife and two children. His wife Deb is the Program Director of the Radiologic Technology program at Northland College in East Grand Forks. His son Sam coaches football at the UND, his daughter in law Chelsea is a teacher for the Grand Forks Public Schools,  and his daughter McKenna is a senior at UND.

How long have you been with IT and what brought you here to NDUS CTS?

I have been working in IT for over 20 years. I thought the opportunity to work for the NDUS would be fun and challenging.

How do you plan on approaching your responsibilities within the position?

After serving as the Deputy CIO for the past few years, I have had the opportunity to work daily with Dr. Feldner.  This has prepared me to understand the position, get to know the people and the processes involved with the CIO position.

Describe your leadership style.

It is impossible for a single person to know everything, so it is important to be collaborative and open to discussion and input.  I believe that good leaders need to use different leadership styles based on the situation. Collaborative, democratic, authoritarian, etc. are all styles that might be needed based on the situation.

What do you feel are some of your greatest accomplishments?

Staying married for 30 years (and counting) and raising my kids to be good adults. Professionally, I would have to say helping the Grand Forks Public Schools during the crazy 5 years of recovery after the Grand Forks flood of 1997.

What are the goals that you have while here?

We have many opportunities and challenges ahead based on the priorities of the SBHE and legislative mandates.  It is critical that we focus our energy and resources on the priorities that directly support the strategic objectives of the SBHE.

What do you feel are your greatest strengths and experiences that you bring to this role?

I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to work with many great people in both IT and executive leadership positions over the past 20+ years. These experiences and relationships help me every day both personally and professionally. I am a pretty good communicator and like working with people to solve problems and get things done.

What are you most excited about?

Everything! I am excited to continue working with the smart and capable people in CTS and NDUS institutions.

Are there any changes you aim to seek to implement?

Change is constant in IT.  We have made some changes in the past few years and it is likely that we will continue to make changes as new opportunities arise.