The North Dakota Higher Education Challenge Grant Committee has awarded more grants to some of the state’s public colleges and universities.
Dickinson State University, Lake Region State College, Minot State University, North Dakota State College of Science, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota and Williston State College were all awarded grants last week through a process set up by the N.D. Legislature in 2013.
Chancellor Mark Hagerott said the Challenge Fund was once again proving to be policy of great foresight and purpose, and would continue to be well into the future.
“These awards are important to many of the long-term needs of our public institutions,” Hagerott said. “With them many departments are bolstered and scholarships can be given, which can help deserving students through their programs of choice.”
So far, three rounds of awards have been provided across four categories: education infrastructure, endowed chairs, scholarships and technology, with the majority of funding going to scholarships.
The most recent awards totaled more than $3.6 million, out of more than $22.6 million set aside for this purpose by the legislature as matching funds. Under the grant process, the Challenge Fund Grant Review Committee awards one dollar in matching grants for every two dollars of non-state, non-federal funding raised by the institutional foundations.
The latest round of awards was as follows:
- Dickinson State University: $172,000.00 for endowments.
- Lake Region State College: $136,818.81 for endowments, scholarships and program support.
- Minot State University: $951,308.51 for the Severson Entrepreneurship Academy.
- North Dakota State College of Science: $25,000.00 for endowments.
- North Dakota State University: $1,666,574.81 for endowments and scholarships.
- University of North Dakota: $702,365.65 for scholarship endowments under its colleges and schools.
- Williston State College: $39,000.00 for an endowment.
Earlier this year, Bismarck State College, LRSC, Mayville State University, NDSCS, UND and WSC received financial awards through the Challenge Fund. For more information, check out the previous grants story posted here.