North Dakota’s public colleges and universities have received another round of funding thanks to the N.D. Higher Education Challenge Fund.
Bismarck State College, Lake Region State College, Mayville State University, North Dakota State College of Science, University of North Dakota and Williston State College were all awarded funding recently through the fund, which was set up by the N.D. Legislature in 2013 and is overseen by a grant review committee.
Chancellor Mark Hagerott said the Challenge Fund continued to be a significant initiative that helped the state, campuses and their respective foundations partner together for education.
“These opportunities wouldn’t have been possible without forward thinking by our lawmakers and dedicated efforts by our campus foundations,” Hagerott said. “Because of their respective work, more opportunities will exist for students looking at higher education right here in North Dakota.”
The total biennium-to-date grants have been awarded in four categories: education infrastructure, endowed chairs, scholarships and technology, with the majority of funding ($5,084,962.60) going to scholarships.
The recent award totaled nearly $1.8 million, out of more than $23.5 million set aside for this purpose by the legislature as matching funds. Under the grant process, the Challenge Fund Grant Review Committee awards one dollar in matching grants for every two dollars of non-state, non-federal funding raised by the institutional foundations.
The latest round of awards was as follows:
- Bismarck State College: $397,037.13 for foundation endowment for scholarships.
- Lake Region State College: $46,577.00 for endowments for scholarship support.
- Mayville State University: $115,881.88 for the Academic Excellence Campaign endowment and scholarship.
- North Dakota State College of Science: $283,403.00 for foundation scholarships and other endowments.
- University of North Dakota: $803,092.41 for scholarship endowments under its colleges and schools.
- Williston State College: $150,000.00 for endowments.
Last November, LRSC, MaSU, NDSCS, North Dakota State University, UND and WSC received financial awards through the Challenge Fund. For more information, check out the previous grants story posted here.